(**) In an effort to help minimize the spread of COVID-19, the following services are canceled until further notice.
We are continuing to provide customer service via phone at (925) 516-5444 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org between 8:00 am-5:00pm on Monday-Friday.
AARP Tax Aid
AARP Tax Aide is not offering their services at this time due to Covid-19 and the guidelines set by Contra Costa Health Services. Below you will find alternative resources for filing your taxes.
VITA- FREE TAX Preparation
IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals.
VITA- This free service is on a drop-off basis only and you must make an appointment so call 925-252-2331. This service is located at 3105 Willow Pass Road, Bay Point, CA 94565
DOCUMENTS YOU MUST BRING WITH YOU TO YOUR APPOINTMENT ARE AS FOLLOW:
1. ID for you and your spouse
2. SS card or ITIN for everyone who will be on the tax return
3. All W2s, 1099s, SS retirement, 1098s and other tax forms
4. If you are self-employed, you must total your income, expenses, and
business mileage before your appointment
5. Health Coverage form 1095A ONLY, they do not have to have B or C
6. Mortgage interest statement, mortgage insurance, and property taxes
7. Medical expenses & donations
8. Savings or checking account and routing numbers for direct deposit
9. Last year’s tax return
10. Child care provider information
File a Tax Extension
If you think that you may owe money for your 2019 taxes, then it is recommended that you file a federal Tax Extension by July 15, 2020 (the deadline was extended from April 15, 2020 due to Covid-19). Filing an extension is free and can be done without penalty. You can find the 2019 Form 4868 online by clicking HERE
Alzheimer's Association Services
24/7 Alzheimer's Association Helpline: 800.272.3900
The Alzheimer's Association's 24/7 Helpline (800.272.3900) is available around the clock, 365 days a year. Through this free service, specialists and master's-level clinicians offer confidential support and information to people living with the disease, caregivers, families and the public.
Contact the Helpline day or night to:
• Speak confidentially with master's-level care consultants for decision-making support, crisis assistance and education on issues families face every day.
• Learn about the symptoms of Alzheimer's and all other dementias.
• Find out how to attend local programs and services like education programs and support groups, all currently being offered by phone or webinar.
• Get general information about legal, financial and care decisions, as well as treatment options for managing symptoms.
• Receive help in your preferred language through our bilingual staff or translation service, which accommodates more than 200 languages.
• Access support through our TTY service (TTY:866.403.3073) if assistance is required via a teletype device.
Our professional staff has the knowledge to address a variety of topics:
• Memory loss, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
• Medication and treatment options that may help with cognitive and behavioral symptoms for a time.
• Safety issues.
• Tips for providing quality care.
• Recommendations for finding quality care providers.
• Strategies to reduce caregiver stress.
• Legal and financial documents for future care.
• Aging and brain health.
• Referrals to local community programs and services.
**Blood Pressure Checks
Volunteer Nurse will conduct blood pressure check. Walk-ins welcome.
|1st Monday||10:00 am - 12:00 pm|
|2nd Friday||12:30 - 2:30 pm|
|3rd Wednesday||10:30 am - 1:30 pm|
Contra Costa County Area Agency on Aging (AAA)
Our agency’s goal is to develop a system of care and support to help adults ages 60 and older and persons with disabilities maintain their independence. We serve as a hub for information and referral, and provide health insurance counseling. We also fund local services such as adult day care, home delivered meals, legal assistance, friendly visiting, assisted transportation, fall prevention, congregate meals, and family caregiver services. Information Phone: (925) 229-8434. Area Agency on Aging
Contra Costa Online Resource Database is now 211 Contra Costa www.211database.org
Contra Costa County Adult Protective Services Hotline
Adult Protective Services (APS) responds to confidential reports from anyone who suspects that an elderly person or an adult with a disability (dependent adult) who lives in Contra Costa County is being abused or neglected or is self-neglecting. Our 24-hour hotline is staffed by social workers who respond to these calls and will walk the caller through a series of questions to determine if a situation requires APS intervention. When a case is opened in APS, an APS social worker will be assigned to the case and will go out to the home of the alleged victim to determine what services, if any, are needed.
Anyone interested in obtaining more information or who wishes to report adult or elder abuse should call 24 hours a day:
• Landlines in Contra Costa, call toll free (877) 839-4347
• Cell Phones or outside Contra Costa, call (925) 602-4179
Adult Protective Services
Care Manager Services
Meals on Wheels Senior Outreach Care Managers help older adults locate resources and services that will enhance their lives. They are trained, experienced professionals that work closely with seniors and their families to understand the senior's needs and come up with a personalized care plan. A Care Manager assesses a senior's needs and identifies services to help meet those needs. They empower older adults as they cope with the challenges of aging. The Care Manager Facilitates family communication and works with adult children to design a care plan and then monitors progress to make sure the senior's goals are met. A Care Manager may also advocate on the senior's behalf and provide counseling and emotional support. There is no fee to work with a Care Manager. Personalized care plans are developed for each client. To find out if a Care Manager is right for you, call 925.937.8311. Appointments can also be scheduled by stopping by or calling the Senior Activity Center at 925.516.5380.
Contra Costa Senior Legal Services (CCSLS) - "Consult An Attorney" Program
Free general legal advice and self-help services will be available with a pro bono attorney sponsored by non-profit CCSLS. This program is for seniors age 60 and older residing in Contra Costa County. There are no income limitations for this clinic. Seniors can schedule an appointment at the Senior Activity Center reception desk or by calling 925.516.5380 to make a private, confidential appointment. Legal advice is available on a variety of matters including: housing (evictions), elder abuse (financial, physical, emotional), consumer problems or consumer debt; advance health care directives, financial powers of attorney, Social Security overpayments, and other issues. Seniors can be referred to many different organizations to get free or low-cost help when necessary.
Free Blood Pressure Checks
Free blood pressure checks are offered the 1st Monday of the month from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and the 3rd Wednesday of the month from 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Dial-a-Ride is a transportation program for seniors and disabled individuals. To register, contact Tri Delta Transit at 925.754.6622.
Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP)
HICAP provides free and objective counseling and advocacy services to families who need assistance with Medicare enrollment and with issues involving Medicare and associated insurance programs. For an appointment, call 925.516.5380.
A memory screening test is a simple and safe evaluation tool that checks memory and other thinking skills. It can indicate whether an additional check up by a qualified healthcare professional is needed.
Senior Information & Referral Counselor 1(800) 510-2020
Contra Costa County Aging & Adult Services senior information and assistance counseling.
**Senior Peer Counseling
Offers one-on-one individual, free and confidential counseling sessions.
If you would like to preview the dates and times for all these services please click the flyer below.
Contra Costa Information and Referral Services
For more information please visit their Information and Services page.